Tonight’s dish is one to do when you’ve got a bit of time up you’re sleeve as there are a couple of elements to prepare if you’re going to make it from scratch as I did here. I only have a small oven and can cook 16 sausage rolls at a time. Each batch takes about 40 minutes to cook so if you have a full-size oven, you’ll get it done quicker. This recipe makes a total of 48 sausage rolls.
Pour yourself a wine, put on the slippers and let’s get into it.
Pork Mince 1 kg
Bacon 200gram sliced
Leeks 2 large, finely sliced
Chilli 1 red, 1 green finely sliced
Garlic 6 cloves, smashed
onion soup mix 1 pack
Sage 1 tablespoon Fresh chopped.
Eggs 4 medium to large
Butter 2 tablespoon
Olive Oil 2 tablespoon
Stewed Apple 1 cup, either homemade or storebought
Salt 1/3 teaspoon
Black Pepper 1/2 Teaspoon
Puff pastry 6 sheets
Panko Breadcrumbs. 1/2 cup
Parmesan Cheese 1/2 cup
Milk 1/2 cup
- Finely slice the leek, chilli, and garlic then add a knob of butter and a splash of olive oil to a skillet then pan fry until translucent and the leeks have reduced by half.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool., ( I put the mix in the freezer for about 20 minutes to cool)
- In a large mixing bowl combine the pork, bacon, soup mix, 2 of the eggs, parmesan, breadcrumbs, sage, stewed apple and cooled leek mix. Add a touch salt and pepper to taste, then, use your hands to combine all the ingredients. Mix till evenly combined but don’t overmix; otherwise, the sausage rolls will end up tough.
- Get the puff pastry sheets from the freezer and separate on your bench and leave till soft enough to roll. I lay the pastry on the edge of my worktop and can tell when it’s ready to use as it flops over the edge
- Mix the remaining eggs and milk to form a glaze for the pastry.
- Lay a pastry sheet on a floured breadboard, then coat with the egg wash. Cut the sheet in half and place a roll of the meat mix. Place it along the centre of the pastry then roll with the joint on the bottom. Cut into four then place on in a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Repeat until you’ve filled the baking dish then bake at 180º for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with a green salad or enjoy them on their own
As always, feel free to tweak the recipe to make it your own.
Have fun and cook on!!