It’s Easter Sunday and after a productive day drawing, writing and general odds and ends, its time to think about dinner. Tonight will be a simple dish using a supermarket pre-made tortellini but pairing it with a homemade, mushroom, spinach and parmesan cream sauce
The secret is to slow cook the mushrooms in a mix of beef stock, garlic, onion, butter and paprika for 45 minutes to an hour to draw as much flavour out of the mushrooms as possible.
When you’ve cooked the mushrooms, the dish will be ready to serve less than 1/2 an hour. You can skip slow cooking the mushrooms is you want to save time, then the plate will travel from stove-top to just on thirty minutes.
Right then, pour yourself a glass of wine, or in my case a bourbon and cola, and let’s get cooking.
Portobello or Brown
Mushrooms, 1 kg sliced
Brown Onions 2 sliced
Red Chilli 1 sliced
Green Chilli 1 sliced
Garlic Powder 1 tablespoon
Paprika 2 teaspoons
Beef Stock 2 cups
Parmesan Cheese 200 gram
Cooking Cream 2 x 300ml tubs
Dijon Mustard 1 teaspoon
Green Spinach 1 x 120-gram pack
Veal tortellini 1 x 600-gram pack
- Slice the mushrooms, chillies, and onion and simmer in a large skillet with the garlic, stock and paprika. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a saucepan with 6 litres of salted water to the boil in preparation for the pasta.
- To the mushroom, mix pour in the cream and parmesan and simmer on low heat for 6 minutes
- Add the tortellini to the boiling water and cook for 6 minutes or until cooked to your preference.
- Just before the pasta is ready, add the spinach leaves to the sauce and stir well.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the tortellini from the saucepan and let simmer for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with garlic bread and a green salad.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and remember to play with the ingredients to make this recipe your own.
Have fun and cook on!!!